Green roofing is an old concept that has seen substantial improvements as of late, and it is starting to receive a lot more attention as it becomes more effective. Many Salem roofers and Portland roofers alike have done their fair share of research on green roofs, because consumers and businesses have become more keen to the idea of having one. Basically, a green roof (or living roof) is a membrane roof with shrubs, small trees, grass, and/or flowers planted on top of it. There are numerous benefits to these types of roofs, as we will detail below:
- Green roofs can increase the lifespan of heating and cooling equipment by decreasing the amount of hours they are required to run.
- The plants on a green roof can “soak up” a portion of any precipitation that falls on the roof, which can decrease wear on the waterproof roofing membrane.
- The plants on a green roof filter the air and can help improve air quality in your community.
- The improved insulation effect of a green roof can cut energy costs and save you or your business money.
- Accessible green roofs can create more usable space for your family or employees.
- Green roofs help stifle and reduce noise coming from outside your building.
Would you like to see how much money you could save by installing a green roof? Take a look at this green roof calculator made by Portland State University, The University of Toronto, and Green Roofs for Healthy Cities.
For more information on green roofing or other forms of environmentally friendly roofing options, please give us a call today at (503) 585-2338. Slate & Slate Roofing has been one of the top Salem roofers for nearly 25 years, and the founders have over 75 years of combined experience to put to service for you or your business.