Improper roofing insulation can cost you hundreds, or maybe even more. A Salem roofer can help determine if your home is properly insulated.
Did you know that having a properly insulated attic can save you anywhere from 10-50% in heating and cooling costs each month (according to estimates from The Department of Energy)? The same goes for the cooling side in the warmer months. If your home is poorly insulated (or not insulated at all), this could be decreasing the lifespan of your roof as well as costing hundreds to thousands of dollars per year in additional utility bill expenses.
Here are a few things that might tip you off that you need to re-evaluate your existing roofing or attic insulation:
- If your heating and cooling bills are much higher than those of your neighbors or friends in the area
- If your attic or roofing insulation is not within the R38 to R60 range (the recommended R-Values for the Salem, Oregon area)
- If you look in your attic and your insulation is barely level or below your joists, you likely need more insulation
Are you worried about the expense? That’s understandable. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Insulation usually pays for itself in five to six years. Every year after that, it will be saving you hundreds of dollars.
- If you’re in need of a new roof anyway, it is much easier and more affordable to replace your insulation at the same time.
- Proper insulation can protect your roof from attic temperature fluctuations, which can save you money in the long run. Read about ice damming below.
While ice damming isn’t always a huge problem for roofers in Salem, there have been years where ice damming has become a major problem. Ice damming can put your roof, the inside of your home, and your gutters at risk for severe damage. One of the ways to prevent ice damming is by having a properly installed insulation system in order to keep the heat in the lower, occupied areas of your house.
If you’re in need of a new roof as it is, there’s no better time to replace your old insulation or install new roofing insulation if that’s the case. With nearly definite utility bill savings, and the potential to increase the lifespan of your roof by years, the choice is easy to make! Having proper roof insulation is vital to the well-being of your household and your budget. To learn more about roof and attic insulation, give us a call today. If you need roofing insulation or even roofing contractors in Salem, Oregon, call us today for a free quote at (503) 585-2338